The U.S. Joint Forces Command- United Assistance, comprising 2,500 service men deployed in Liberia last year to fight the Ebola virus, is scaling down following the decline in cases of the disease. At a colorful ceremony on February 26 at the Barclay Training Center (BTC), in Monrovia, Major General Gary J. Volesky said 100 troops will remain in Liberia to work with healthcare personnel for a few months. Recounting activities of the Joint Forces Command, Maj. Gen. Volesky said his service men worked with the Armed Forces of Liberia (AFL) in building and overseeing the construction of ETUs across the country. In addition, Maj. Gen. Volesky said, they were able to train over 1,500 healthcare workers in Monrovia and local communities throughout the country to work in ETUs and care for Ebola patients. “We established logistical systems to move building materials, medical supplies and water to areas most in need, regardless of how remote the location was,” he stated. “Finally, we established four mobile testing labs in Liberia so blood samples of potential Ebola patients could be identified, and those that were infected could begin receiving treatment in a matter of hours—not days, and those that were not infected could be quickly released [to] reduce their chances of becoming infected,” he recapped. Maj. Gen. Volesky acknowledged the roles of the government and people of Liberia in the fight against Ebola, noting with emphasis, “But none of this would have mattered if it [were not] for the phenomenal leadership provided by President Sirleaf, Ministers of Health, Defense and other key leaders within the Liberian government, who created and enforced policies that changed cultural practices that were facilitating the transmission of the EVD.” According to the U.S. Joint Command-United Assistance, the end of their mission in Liberia is predicated upon the fact that tremendous progress has been made. Besides the decline in cases of the virus, he noted, progress is also being made given the fact that Liberians are able to get back to a normal way of life, which he described as a remarkable accomplishment over the past few months. “The ability to reopen schools, the huge increase in the numbers of people shopping in the markets, and the lifting of the curfew and reopening of the borders with Liberia’s neighbors are more important examples of how a normal way of life is returning to Liberia,” he added. He indicated that while no one can become complacent and allow Ebola to reemerge to the extent that we saw last August, it is encouraging to see a country resuming its everyday life. Even though a large scale of the U.S. military mission is ending with the departure of the 101st JFC, Maj. Gen. Volesky said that the fight to get to zero cases will continue as the Joint Force Command has ensured capabilities that will sustain the future. “ETU construction, healthcare worker training, and logistical sustainment operations for Ebola containment have been transitioned to reliable partners that will continue supporting the fight against EVD,” he said. The Army labs set up in the country have been transitioned and will be operated by organizations that don’t just test for Ebola, but also other infectious diseases, such as Malaria and Lassa fever. Meanwhile, Maj. Gen. Volesky used the occasion to acknowledge the roles of Ambassador Deborah Malac, staffers of the U.S. Embassy and soldiers that served with the Joint Forces Command. He presented a token of appreciation to Defense Minister Brownie Samukai and a medal to AFL Chief of Staff, Bridg. Gen. Daniel Ziankahn, for what he referred to as exceptional roles played by the AFL, who worked diligently with the US Joint Forces to successfully accomplish the tasks at hand. Defense Minister Samukai thanked the U.S. Joint Forces Command for its role in the Ebola fight. He added that while the military is departing, government is in negotiation with partners to identify with Liberia in the post-Ebola era. Brigadier Gen. Ziankahn said the time the joint forces spent with the AFL in building ETUs across the country was quite rewarding, noting that it was the first time he and American soldiers have lived together and interacted in detail. He also thanked them for the recognition and said it further motivates him to do the best he can for his country. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
A number of homes have been left without power this morning after a power outage in Newtoncunningham.Up to 108 properties have been affected by the outage which was caused by an electrical fault.ESB workers are working to restore electrical supplies which are expected to be repaired by 3:30pm this afternoon (Friday) Power cut strikes east Donegal was last modified: July 26th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Woodville Dementia Unit at St Joseph’s Hospital in Stranorlar held a ‘Celebration Day’ to mark the achievements of their staff.Woodville provide a mixture of long term care, assessment care and vital respite care for people who live with dementia. It is a 19 bedded unit and they provide respite to 30 clients on a rolling basis every 6/7 weeks.They provide assessment for clients who need their medications reviewed and provide information and guidance surrounding the long term care process if required. The celebration was to highlight the work staff do at Woodville and how they have focused on moving away from a medical way of working to a more person-centred way of working.L to R: Staff members Joanne Craig, Sandra Gillespie and Sarah Mangan with their award winning posterThe staff are proud of the unit and the work that they do and wanted to share this through hosting the celebration dayThe event was attended by approximately 80 people including residents, those availing of respite and staff and their family members. Also in attendance were staff from other HSE services. Mr Patrick Murray, Head of HR for CHO Area 1 was in attendance representing Mr John Hayes, Chief Officer of CHO 1. Those attending enjoyed food and music was provided by Gary Mangan.Over the last few months Staff at Woodville have won two awards nationally for the work they are doing to increase person-centredness. These included first prize for their project entitled “Everyday Language Counts” at the All Ireland Gerontological Nursing Association (AIGNA) conference and an award “Rooted in evidence & steering the future” at the Northwest Nursing & Midwifery Research Conference Awards.According to Staff member Sandra Gillespie “Our awards are surrounding person centred language, how we speak to our clients our families and to each other. This has had a very positive affect on the ward and there is a great buzz about as it is great to be acknowledged for our achievements”.Staff Nurse Marie Tourish likened the Woodville Staff and the way we work to a family tree, stating “We the staff represent branches, and together we shape a tree, while trying to keep one another rooted. We are mindful that our personalities and characteristics impinge on the lives of those in our care”Resident Willie Duncan with family, Megan, Karl, Micheala and Laura DohertySt Joseph’s Hospital hosts celebration day for dementia unit was last modified: August 1st, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:dementia unitdonegalSy Josephs
After 12 hard-fought, slow-paced and foul-heavy minutes the Eureka boy’s basketball team held a slim lead over the visiting Fortuna Huskies midway through the second quarter.Huskies’ head coach Tony Miles called a timeout after Eureka’s Zach Reed hit a 3-pointer to take a 22-17 lead — and then the Huskies woke up.Zac Claus and Donald Willis combined for 10 points in under two minutes, Joseph “Jojo” McGinnis came off the bench to nail back-to-back 3-pointers and the Huskies closed out the …
Just like they did in the 2016 offseason, the Warriors are about to welcome a star to a team that had won plenty without him. This time, the Warriors are not making a free-agency pitch to Kevin Durant during their visit to the Hamptons. Instead, the Warriors are expected to welcome Durant back after missing the past five playoff games because of a strained right calf.When will that be? Nothing is official yet. The Warriors plan to reevaluate Durant and DeMarcus Cousins in hopes both could be …
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest As farm budgets get tighter, bankers are growing more anxious. Some farmers are taking some unique steps to help secure credit, even bringing in back-up expertise to help them plead their case for securing operating loans.Steve Gauck, a field agronomist for Beck’s Hybrids in southeastern Indiana has gone with farmers to meet eight to 10 lenders since harvest.“Some of my customers have invited me in to the meetings to show the banker what it takes to grow corn and why it is important,” Gauck said. “I just try to explain things and help the banker understand why corn may cost more to put out but also why it can be a better return on the investment. I show them the benefits of the right seed and proper fertility and talk about how some guys are putting their nutrients down for both corn and soybean before corn. That can look like a lot of money up front, but when you break things down for them it can make it easier to understand and they can see the potential. Some of the conversations have been interesting.”Gauck has encountered varying knowledge levels about agriculture from the lenders he has worked with on behalf of his seed customers, but has found them to be receptive to learning more about the challenging situation facing corn and soybean growers.“There are some excellent bankers who really understand agriculture,” he said. “I think there is a lot of pressure from higher up than the loan officer for them to be able to justify these expenses. Some of them are surprised when they see how high the costs of soybeans can actually end up being and how we can work to push corn yields higher for a higher return.”Though farmers bringing their seed guy to meet with their banker has not necessarily been the norm in previous years, Gauck sees value in developing more of these kinds of relationships in the future.“In the past there hasn’t been a lot of that kind of thing but I think more of a team approach to this is going to be important as times start getting tough,” he said. “I would encourage more growers to get together with their seed and fertilizer guys on some of these kinds of things.”Even with teamwork, though, the high risks and big dollars required to plant a crop in 2016 are raising concerns with lenders that could ultimately shape the realities of the 2016 growing season. There are differing opinions of how things will develop as spring planting season approaches.“I have heard about a couple of young kids who were farming pretty hot with most of their 2,500 acres rented and Farm Credit pulled their operating loan for this year,” said Ron Strasburg, owner of Strasburg Financial Group in Wapakoneta. “Cash flow is going to drive credit concerns from lenders. I fully expect a heavy shift from corn to soybeans this year because soybeans are cheaper to put out. I am already hearing that guys are shifting to soybeans — maybe a 60-40 shift or 70-30 shift to beans or more. The banks may only give you so much and that will be a factor in going to beans so they can reduce that cash output.”Cash supplies are going to make a big difference in the coming months.“Some of my clients went through Chapter 11 bankruptcies back in the 80s and they managed to keep everything. They are doing well now after making pretty good margins, saving up cash and reducing debt,” Strasburg said. “There is a group out there though, whose dads went through the 80s, with a couple of million dollars in new equipment and a couple million in debt to go with it and they are getting uncomfortable.”This year may be tough for some, but Strasburg sees 2017 as a very crucial year for many corn and soybean farms.“I think 2016 will still be OK. There will be minor incidents here and there where people are not going to get their operating loan and banks will be looking for second mortgages. But I don’t see grain prices going anywhere but south from here and I think 2017 is going to be the tough one,” he said. “When corn gets below $3 things will change quickly. Inputs are still high and it takes a year or two for the seed and chemical guys to pull back on their prices. That will help, but there is always a year or two lag after grain prices go down while the inputs are still full price. The guys who have saved surplus cash will be in good shape in 2016, but by 2017 that surplus cash will be gone and things will get tougher. It will be interesting to see what happens. Today farms run on massive amounts of credit to put crops out and I think we are going to start seeing some high levels of discomfort by 2017.”While tight credit allocations may favor soybeans, actual farm economics still favor corn, according to Ron Barga II, CFO for Premier Crop Insurance and ag loan consultant for Greenville National Bank, who works with farmers around the state.“I don’t think credit will affect corn acreage. It depends on who their banker is. I look at the gross numbers on soybeans and do the math. With 54-bushel beans, the best price you’re going to get may be $8.90 or $9. That is only $480 of gross revenue. Most costs on beans are hovering around $500 to $525 an acre. If you can do 175-bushel corn at $4, you are now grossing $700 and I know plenty of guys with a cost of production of $500 on beans with their corn costs down around $700, so at least they are breaking even with corn,” Barga said. “With corn, there are more gross dollars to cover their fixed costs. Corn cost numbers are higher and that can cause bankers issues, but the lower cost of beans won’t let them gross enough to cover their fixed costs.“There are plenty of bankers out there too worried to do those loans, but I would be shocked if we see a big shift away from corn. All of the farmers I am working with are sticking with their normal rotations of recent years — some guys I know have already been heavier on beans because of cash flow reasons. My opinion is that credit may play a part in 2016 acreage, but not as big of a part as some people may think.”
The police have arrested a Group D staffer of the Tripura Raj Bhavan on the charge of raping a minor girl. An officer of the West Agartala women police station said they had arrested Dilip Kumar Das, 50, on the basis of a complaint lodged by a woman, who alleged that Das had raped her 8-year-old daughter.
Ten people died after consuming spurious liquor in Uttar Pradesh’s Barabanki district on Tuesday, a spokesperson for Ajay Sahani, Superintendent of Police, said.A dozen officials of the Excise and the Police Departments have been suspended for the incident, officials said.The tragedy was reported from the Raniganj area under the Ramnagar police station of the district.Excise Minister J.P. Singh said six deaths had been confirmed so far. In the Home Department briefing held in the evening, IG Law and Order Praveen Kumar put the figure at 10 and said four others were critical.Among the victims were four members of one family. Several others had been admitted to the trauma centre in Lucknow.The district Excise officer and the superintendent along with the local Inspector, an SI and two police constables have been suspended, while the suspension of the circle officer was under process, said Mr. Kumar.The victims purchased the liquor from a local registered shop run by one Danvir Singh. A case has been lodged against him and two associates. While a salesman has been arrested, Singh is absconding.Minister J.P. Singh said it was a “lapse” on the part of the local officials that spurious liquor was sold at a licensed shop. “Somewhere it is a lapse of our officials and staff because there is a standing order that stock in every shop must be checked,” he said.Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath instructed the Principal Secretary, Excise Department, to probe the incident and take strict action against the culprits. The CM has directed a three-member committee led by the Excise commissioner to submit a report within 48 hours.The team would probe the source of the liquor, the accountability of the local Excise, police officials and any “conspiracy” angle, said Chief Secretary Anup Chandra Pandey.Rajeev Krishna, ADG Lucknow, said they were investigating at what stage the liquor was adulterated, whether at the factory or at the store. The shop did not have the licence to sell open liquor or serve it like a bar but could only sell closed bottles, he said.Mr. Adityanath announced an ex-gratia of ₹2 lakh each to the kin of the dead.
Nationalist Congress Party MP from Satara Udayanraje Bhosale on Monday voiced support for the ballot paper voting system as against the Electronic Voting Machine, which has been mired in controversy following multiple allegations of rigging. Mr. Bhosale’s statement comes days after Vanchit Bahujan Aghadi president Prakash Ambedkar announced he would be taking the issue to court. Saying that the EVM process was ‘manipulative’, Mr. Bhosale said that a difference of 672 votes was observed between the votes cast and votes counted in constituencies like Wai, Koregaon, Karad, Patan and Satara. “The statistics are there for everyone to see. It is clear that something was wrong with the entire election process. I don’t know why they call the EVMs fool-proof,” Mr. Bhosale said. While he accepted that securing fewer seats than expected in the recent Lok Sabha elections is a factor behind the issue of EVMs being raised, he also added that the difference between votes cast and votes counted still remains unexplained. Calling EVMs a “threat to India”, Mr. Bhosale demanded a re-election through ballot papers and also demanded that the EVM system be abolished permanently. “I challenge the Election Commission to see the results after re-elections are conducted using ballot papers. I am not going to rebel nor I am going to approach the courts. I can speak for myself and I want the people to raise their voice as well to save the future of India.” he said.On Saturday last week, Mr. Ambedkar, in a press conference in Dadar, had declared that his party would be taking up the issue of EVMs with the Election Commission of India and would also be filing petitions in regional high courts over the matter.