Tsetsi Davis, one of the crowd favourites over the years in the Wray & Nephew Contender boxing series, makes his debut tonight against American Courtney McLeave at the Chinese Benevolent Association auditorium.Davis has been able to fight as both a welterweight and a middleweight in the competition and has actually been a finalist.At age 38, he now has what is regarded as his last chance to take the top prize of $2 million this year and has said repeatedly since being selected that he believes that this will be his time to shine.He enters the ring with a record of 14 victories and five losses, while his American opponent McLeave, is a 21-year old boxer who has been a professional for a year, and has a one-win and two-loss record. Based on these figures, Davis goes into the fight with a huge advantage as he has much more experience than his opponent.SEEDING METHODThe method of determining the fights in the preliminary round this year is by a draw. Previously, there were challenges in which two teams competed and a boxer from the winning team was allowed to select his opponent. This year, the boxers on both teams were seeded and the top four seeds draw an opponent from the bottom four of the opposing team.By this method, unless there is an upset, the better boxers go on to the quarter-finals and challenge each other for the semi-final and then final spots. The runner-up in the competition takes home $500,000, while third gets $250,000 and fourth $200,000.The first week of competition saw that fight end in only 55 seconds after the young American, Xzaviar Ford, tore a tendon in his right shoulder and could not continue to fight. There was great disappointment in the auditorium after this premature end.Last week, spectators saw a much better fight as highly rated Demarcos Corley defeated Iwan Azore from Guyana on points, by using his superior boxing skills and ring savvy to good advantage.McLeave’s camp is confident that their fighter can hold his own against the more experienced Davis, while the Davis camp is quietly confident.”We have seen his record and will be going into the fight confident of victory, but we are not taking anything for granted. We want a win and that is what we are going for. We just have to wait to see what he brings to the table,” a representative from their camp said.Jamaica at 9:30 p.m.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The White House has avoided the term “war czar.” Bush called Lute the “full-time manager” for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Lute has been director of operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff since September. NAME: Lt. Gen. Douglas E. Lute. AGE: 54. NOTABLE EXPERIENCE: Director of operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, September 2006; director of operations, U.S. Central Command, June 2004; deputy director of operations, U.S. European Command, January 2003; commanded Multinational Brigade East in Kosovo for six months in 2002; commanded the 2nd Cavalry Regiment, part of XVIII Airborne Corps, at Fort Polk, La., 1998-2000; commanded the 1st Squadron, 7th Cavalry at Fort Hood, Texas, 1992-1994; fought in Operation Desert Storm, 1990-1991. WASHINGTON – President George W. Bush on Tuesday chose Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute, the Pentagon’s director of operations and a former leader of U.S. military forces in the Middle East, to oversee the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan as a war czar. “General Lute is a tremendously accomplished military leader who understands war and government and knows how to get things done,” Bush said, capping a difficult search for new leadership in the wars that have defined his presidency. It was a difficult job to fill, given the unpopularity of the war, now in its fifth year, and uncertainty about the clout the war coordinator would have. The search was complicated by demands from Congress to bring U.S. troops home from Iraq and scant public support for the war. The White House tried for weeks to fill the position and approached numerous candidates before settling on Lute. In the new position, Lute would serve as an assistant to the president and deputy national security adviser, and would also maintain his military status and rank as a three-star general.