Have your say on Donegal County Council’s new Corporate Plan

first_imgDonegal County Council is inviting the public to have their say on the Councils new Corporate Plan.The Corporate Plan sets out the strategic direction of the Council from 2020 to 2024 and to help inform the Plan, the Council is inviting the public to have their say on what they think should be the key areas the Council should focus on over the next 5 years.Donegal County Council is required by law to prepare a Corporate Plan setting out a Statement of Strategy on the work of the Council from 2020 to 2024. The Corporate Plan provides the Council with an opportunity to reflect on the challenges and opportunities facing the county and includes opportunities to lead out on economic, social, cultural and community development initiatives for the county, to deliver the best possible services and supports for the people of Donegal and to represent citizens and communities as effectively as possible.Submissions can be made by email to CorporatePlan@donegalcoco.ie or by post to Anne Marie Conlon, Communications Office, Donegal County Council, County House, Lifford, Co. Donegal by Wednesday 4 December 2019.To find out more about the Corporate Plan and how to make a submission visit www.donegalcoco.ie.Have your say on Donegal County Council’s new Corporate Plan was last modified: November 15th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

The Durant yin & yang: Reintegrating his game not without its challenges

first_imgJust like they did in the 2016 offseason, the Warriors are about to welcome a star to a team that had won plenty without him. This time, the Warriors are not making a free-agency pitch to Kevin Durant during their visit to the Hamptons. Instead, the Warriors are expected to welcome Durant back after missing the past five playoff games because of a strained right calf.When will that be? Nothing is official yet. The Warriors plan to reevaluate Durant and DeMarcus Cousins in hopes both could be …last_img read more

Fatalities at South Africa’s mines drop

first_imgThe South African mining industry has reported a significant drop in the number of fatalities and injuries on mines, although official numbers from the Department of Mineral Resources are only expected at the end of the month or early next month.Zero harm is the target, with the industry’s mantra: “Every worker returning from work unharmed every day.” The unofficial number of fatalities in 2014 had been placed at a record low of 84, the industry reported last week. It was expected that the official safety achievements would be about 9% better than the 93 fatalities reported in 2013, despite the industry adding more than 100 000 workers in the past decade to well over 500 000 now.Chamber of Mines’ safety and sustainable development acting head Dr Sizwe Phakathi told Mining Weekly Online that significant progress over the past few years.He said that 2014 was the seventh consecutive year of a drop in the number fatalities. In 2013, the industry made history when it reported less than 100 mining deaths for the first time. As at November 2014, 80 fatalities were officially reported.In the past decade, fatalities have been cut, safety has been improved, exposure to dust and noise reduced, tuberculosis (TB) infection rates reduced, more effective TB/HIV infection control and treatment programmes have been implemented, and best practice to improve health and safety outcomes has been adopted, according to the Chamber of Mines.Fatalities on mines had been cut from 615 in 1993 to 270 in 2003, and to 93 in 2013, said David Msiza, the chairman of the Mine Health and Safety Council (MHSC) and the chief inspector of mines. “It was noted that 2014 achievements are an improvement from 2013 by 8%, but [are] 85% better than 1993.”“The sector also saw a reduction of cases of noise induced hearing loss from more than 6 000 in 2003 to around 1 200 in 2013. TB rates in the gold sector have also halved.”At the Mine Health and Safety Summit in November 2014, the council said it would launch a centre of excellence in April. It will lead industry efforts to promote innovation through research and training of mine workers. The centre will go beyond health and safety to align with the National Development Plan. “We need to reclaim our space as a country that leads in mining innovation and excellence,” Mike Teke, president of the Chamber of Mines, said at the time.The centre is expected to undertake research; build capacity; facilitate research outcomes in areas such as rock engineering, human factors and occupational health and hygiene; and provide health and safety related training at all levels.Relationships with major international research centres and programmes will be built.The numbersCoal mines recorded a 93% safety improvement between 1993 and 2013, from 90 to seven fatalities, while the gold sector registered a 91% improvement from 436 fatalities in 1993 to 37 in 2013. The platinum sector had 29 fatalities in 1993 and 28 in 2013; this was down from a peak of 64 fatalities in 2004.Overall, fatality rates improved 72% to 0.09 in 2013 from 0.32 in 2003. Australia, Canada and the US recorded a combined improvement rate of 29% to a rate of 0.05 in 2013 from 0.07 in 2003, Mining Weekly Online reported.Injuries in South Africa fell from 8 515 in 1993 to 3 126 in 2013. In gold, injuries fell from 7 368 in 1993 to 1 252 in 2013; in coal, the drop was from 279 to 263 over the 20 years. In platinum, injuries went from 1 344 to 395.In the 11 months to November 2014, injuries decreased 25% from 2 799 in the comparative period the year before to 2 095.Harmony Gold had its first fatality-free quarter in the final quarter of 2014, while Lonmin had a calendar year without any deaths.SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

Amit Shah, Nitish Kumar to discuss seat sharing

first_imgSeat sharing talks with the Janata Dal (U) will figure high on the agenda during BJP chief Amit Shah’s visit to Patna on Thursday. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar is scheduled to join Mr Shah for both breakfast and dinner during the visit. Top sources in the BJP have confirmed that while Mr Shah will be largely busy with organisational meetings, two one-on-one meetings have been scheduled with Mr. Kumar.“Adhyakshaji (BJP president Amit Shah) will be having breakfast with the Chief Minister (Nitish Kumar) at the State guest house where he will be staying. After addressing organisational meetings like the social media volunteers meet, a meeting of vistaraks, core committee and Shakti Kendra meetings, he will have dinner with Nitish Kumar at the latter’s residence,” said a source. State BJP president Nityanand Rai confirmed the two meetings. “Seat sharing talks are on the anvil, and a formula that will be good for all stakeholders will be formulated,” added the source. No other details were shared as party men and allies like the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) and Rashtriya Lok Samata Party (RLSP) are holding their peace.Electoral equation“We won 22 seats in 2014 on our own; some of them were seats where JD(U) used to win as part of the NDA. Therefore, the seat adjustment is not just about absolute numbers but particular seats and this will have implications for some sitting BJP MPs too,” added the source. Meanwhile, a political observer in Bihar told The Hindu, “I don’t see any electoral dividend for the BJP to take JD(U) along with it in Lok Sabha poll…for the BJP, a triangular contest will always benefit as both RJD and JD(U) would cut each other’s backward caste vote while the BJP’s vote bank will be intact in the name of PM Narendra Modi”.“Though, it will be a different ball game if JD(U) compromises with 9-10 seats with the BJP promising it a lion share in the State Assembly poll in 2020,” said political analyst Ajay Kumar.last_img read more

World Cup 2018: Croatians outnumber French for final showdown in Moscow

first_imgCroatian supporters outnumbered their French opponents in the streets of Moscow on Sunday ahead of the 2018 FIFA World Cup final at the Luzhniki Stadium.Croatia, who will be playing their World Cup final ever, are also expected to have more fans at the Luzhniki in a few hours time than their low-key French counterparts.This may be because of the fact that the Croatians are thrilled that their country is playing their first-ever World Cup final and the fans are going to be ‘on fire’ when the final gets underway in Moscow.The 20th-ranked team in the world eliminated hosts Russia in the quarter-finals and England in the semis, delighting their home country of 4.2 million people.2018 FIFA WORLD CUP: FULL COVERAGE”Whether we win today or lose, Croatia is going to be on fire,” said Croatian fan Kristjan Alapic, from the city of Velika Gorica, as he stood outside Moscow’s Bolshoi Theatre.”Tomorrow don’t expect anybody to show up for work. This brings the whole population together.”We’ve enjoyed meeting fans from around the globe on #WorldCup Daily at Russia 2018 Full episode: https://t.co/2ksRlXZj3t pic.twitter.com/8Obr0uvipA FIFA World Cup (@FIFAWorldCup) July 15, 2018When Croatia take on France at Moscow’s Luzhniki stadium on Sunday, the team hopes to settle an old score with the French dating back to the 1998 World Cup.That year, Croatia’s World Cup dreams were ended when France beat them 2-1 in the semi-finals before going on to win the tournament.”It is unbelievable to be in the final for such a small country such as Croatia,” said 47-year-old Croatian fan Denis Papac near Red Square. “It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”Also read – France vs Croatia, World Cup 2018 final prediction:. Buyan the bear has a winneradvertisementAfter Croatia eliminated Russia, Croatian tour operators struggled to secure enough airplane space to get all the country’s fans to Russia for the World Cup.”There weren’t that many Croatians earlier in the tournament,” said 30-year-old Miro Susa from Osijek, who was on a square adjacent to the Kremlin.”This is a unique opportunity. This will maybe never happen again.”Also read – World Cup 2018: Croatia’s road to the finalThe Luzhniki joins an elite group of stadiums to host the #WorldCupFinal today…Where has been your favourite final venue? pic.twitter.com/sAZb7OwMjj FIFA World Cup (@FIFAWorldCup) July 15, 2018While Croatian fans were gearing up for the match, Russian police stepped up security, closing off traffic in central Moscow in preparation for the visits of high-ranking officials tied in to the World Cup.Ahead of the final Russian President Vladimir Putin held talks on Sunday with Hungarian President Viktor Orban and Qatar Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, and was still expecting French President Emmanuel Macron.Also read – Google doodle dedicated to France vs Croatia World Cup finalAt Moscow’s Luzhniki stadium, hundreds of security staff in civilian clothes were inspecting the premises.French fans were more reserved ahead of the final and seemed to be fewer in number than their Croatian counterparts.”I’ve been seeing a lot of Croatians. That has really hit me,” said 32-year-old French fan Benjamin Haddad. “The atmosphere is very Croatian right now.”Haddad could not explain why French fans were less visible on the streets of Moscow ahead of the match but suggested the enthusiasm of the Croatians could be tied to their team’s unforeseen success.”It’s the first final in Croatia’s history,” he said. “It’s a surprise for them to be here. It’s an even more historical moment for them.”(With inputs from Reuters)last_img read more