“There’s young Callum Robinson who’s come back after doing really well at Preston so I’ve made the decision for that to happen. “We just play a different way. Darren came to me a month ago saying he wanted the chance to play more games (and go on loan), which I agreed to do.” Benteke sits out Saturday’s trip to Burnley in the final match of his three-game ban for violent conduct against Tottenham. Villa have scored just six goals all season, with forwards Gabriel Agbonlahor and Andi Weimann sharing three apiece. However, Lambert this week packed Bent off to Sky Bet Championship outfit Brighton despite fans clamouring for the proven goalscorer to be given a chance. The Villa boss has always refused to criticise Bent ever since the former Tottenham man fell out of favour during the 2012-13 season, but insists he has his reasons for overlooking the 30-year-old. Asked if Bent’s career as a top-flight forward is over, the Scot said: “No, listen, I don’t know. “Darren wanted to go out on loan about a month ago but with Christian Benteke being suspended we had to keep him here. “It gets Darren’s career going again and that’s why I loaned him to Fulham last year, to try to get him going. But Darren wanted to go himself as well. “Christian is coming back after Saturday and I think Gabby Agbonlahor and Andi Weimann will find their feet again in terms of goalscoring. “Charles N’Zogbia is playing pretty decently and Joe Cole is nearly fully fit. So there are certainly goals within the team, we just need to find the solutions to win games.” Lambert admits Bent’s style of forward play simply does not fit into his own ethos. He said: “I play a certain type of football and in a certain way and Gabby has been playing well up there himself, Andi can do it as well, Christian is coming back so there are three guys there that are in front of him. Paul Lambert has defended his decision to send striker Darren Bent out on loan despite Aston Villa’s toothless attack leaving them as the Barclays Premier League’s lowest scorers. Press Association
PERTH: World number one Rafael Nadal won a battle of attrition against fellow left-hander Yoshihito Nishioka of Japan 7-6(4), 6-4 to seal Spain’s spot in the final eight of the inaugural ATP Cup in Perth on Wednesday.Meanwhile his long-time rival, world number two Novak Djokovic, had an easier outing in Brisbane, strolling past Chile’s Cristian Garin 6-3, 6-3 to stay undefeated in the new year and to ensure Serbia will travel to Sydney for the knockouts having won all three of their ties.Nadal had to twice fight back from a break down against the Japanese world number 72 in the opening set before winning the tiebreaker while the Spaniard broke his opponent’s serve to go up 5-4 in the second before holding serve for victory.”It’s the first day I was playing under such heavy conditions, two previous days I had played in the night. The feeling on court was completely different,” Nadal said in an on-court interview.”I played against an opponent who started the season on fire, winning two matches against two great players with very comfortable results. Today was a very, very tough one.”It was Nadal’s third singles win in the $15 million ATP Cup, which features 24 nations competing in Perth, Brisbane and Sydney over 10 days.All six group winners and the two best second-placed teams will advance to the final eight stage in Sydney. Besides hosts Australia, Serbia, Britain, Russia and Spain have qualified.Garin broke Djokovic in the second set to go up 3-1 but it seemed to bruise the seven-times Australian Open winner’s ego as he won the next five games to complete victory.”Sydney’s got a big Serbian community, hopefully the support can be as good as it was here, even better,” Djokovic said.Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz also picked up his third singles win of the tournament with an upset 3-6, 6-4, 7-6(5) win over world number four Dominic Thiem of Austria in Sydney.It was the second loss in the new season for Thiem, who also lost to Croatia’s Borna Coric in his opening match. AgenciesAlso Read: Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal calls for the merger of ATP Cup, Davis Cup Also Watch: United Workmen Union at Guwahati Refinery stage protest against BJP-Govt over CAA 2019
Since the start of the fall semester, the number of requests for Campus Cruiser, the university’s free ride service, has increased by 32 percent compared to the same period in 2013. Extended service boundaries and reduced wait times for cars have accounted for the high level of demand.Buckle up · Campus Cruiser received 18,446 calls between Aug. 25 and Sept. 17, an increase of 4000 compared to the same period last year. – Mariya Dondonyan | Daily TrojanIn an email to the USC community on Aug. 25, President C. L. Max Nikias announced that Campus Cruiser would extend coverage to include the entire Dept. of Public Safety patrol and response area and would work to decrease maximum wait times to 15 minutes.“There’s a wider boundary that Campus Cruiser covers now than what we had in the past,” Director of Transportation Tony Mazza said. “We’re picking up more students in terms of the demand, who are living further beyond where they used to live.”Since Nikias introduced the new initiatives, Campus Cruiser has reduced 80 percent of wait times to 15 minutes or less. Mazza said that weekly demand for the service has skyrocketed as a result of improved wait times.“As we analyze the numbers, the reason for [continued growth] is that as the wait times become less, the popularity of the program becomes greater,” Mazza said. “We drive the wait times down and more people want to use the program. So we’re chasing a number in some ways.”From Aug. 25 to Sept. 17, Campus Cruiser received 18,446 calls, an increase of more than four thousand calls compared to the same period last year.“Peak volume has moved to non-peak days and now the peak days are seeing exponentially higher numbers,” Associate Director of Guest Relations Michelle Garcia said.In response to increased demand, Campus Cruiser expanded its staff from 125 to 154 student-drivers, added 13 cars to the fleet and cut down the driver-training program from two weeks to two days. With about 75 returning drivers, Campus Cruiser hired 80 new students during the first week of school.“We have gone to an abbreviated training program trying to get this fast ramp-up to deal with the high demand,” Garcia said. “It was more in-depth before, and now we are just teaching the basics right up front.”As Campus Cruiser scrambled to train new drivers early in the semester, DPS officers, Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) cadets and private valets assisted in transporting students on- and off-campus.Vice Provost for Student Affairs Ainsley Carry said that more students know about Campus Cruiser as a result of the university’s efforts to improve security. He said that greater awareness of the service has encouraged the spike in demand.“Students recognize that part of their responsibility is using the resources provided to them by the university to keep themselves safe,” Carry said.While Campus Cruiser has received record numbers of requests, students have encountered inconsistencies in the quality of service.Pooja Sinha, a freshman majoring in environmental engineering, estimated that she has tried to access Campus Cruiser 20 times, but has only received a car twice.“It takes almost 10 to 15 minutes for them to pick up and sometimes there is no response at all,” Sinha said. “I find myself walking home or taking the tram because after 10 minutes of no response, I am left clueless.”Fiona Li, a graduate student studying business analytics, has used the service twice, waiting 30 minutes each time for the driver to arrive.“I think that the person who answered the phone was not so polite,” Li stated. “I also wonder if it’s a common situation or just happening to me. Because when the girl was so rude to me, I was scared to call that number again.”After her negative experiences with Campus Cruiser, Li switched to using Uber, a ride-sharing app.“When you have a bad experience, your mood can really go down,” Li said.Arielle Fishman, a senior majoring in theatre, has noticed improvements in the service compared to last year.“Last year, they’d forget about me and take much longer to come. This year has been better. I haven’t had any trouble,” Fishman said. “When I called they said that someone was en route, and the car arrived in five minutes.”Fishman also didn’t have any issues to report with her driver.“The drivers themselves are great, and I am thankful to them and the service that they give, but it does seem that they’re understaffed,” Fishman said.Garcia said that she has been working to address non-responsiveness to calls. On Wednesday evening, Campus Cruiser launched a new phone system that notifies students of their place in line and offers a call-back feature if people do not want to stay on hold.In addition to Campus Cruiser services, Carry said that the university is exploring various solutions and dealing with outside vendors to meet demand for Campus Cruiser services.“The university is looking into innovative new ways to use technology to keep students safe,” Carry said.
The University of Wisconsin men’s hockey team (11-18-1, 6-15-1-1 Big Ten) will battle the No. 9 ranked team in the country this weekend as the Arizona State University Sun Devils (22-9-3) march into the Kohl Center.An axe to grindThe University of Wisconsin and the University of Minnesota have perhaps the most storied rivalry in college sports, as the Read…The Sun Devils are currently playing some of their best hockey of the season, riding a seven game win-streak in which they are averaging just under four goals per game. The team also ranks top 10 in all of Division 1 hockey with goalie winning percentage at 69% and scoring offense at 3.32 goals per game, giving the team a clear advantage over the Badgers.The story has been very different for the Badgers this season. The team has averaged 3.03 goals per game, putting them tied for 20th in the country in this category. While that may seem close behind the Sun Devils, the Badgers do not have a record to show for their offensive efficiency. The Badgers have allowed 3.7 goals per game, the fourth worst in all of Division 1 hockey.Men’s Hockey: Yet another split series for Badgers vs No. 11 Penn StateThe University of Wisconsin men’s hockey team (11-18-1, 6-15-1-1 Big Ten) took on the No. 11 Nittany Lions of Pennsylvania Read…Goalkeeping has been an issue for the Badgers, allowing a total of 111 goals so far this season. Sophomore goalie Daniel Lebedeff has appeared in 23 games this season, with a win rate of just 39% and a save rate of 89%. In order to compete with the Sun Devils this weekend, the Badgers are going to need to step it up defensively.The team had been offensively productive all season and hopes to continue that this weekend, especially from key offensive weapon Cole Caufield. Caufield’s productive freshmen year puts him at 11th in the nation with 0.6 goals per game. Caufield also leads the team with 32 points this season, followed by 23 from junior Wyatt Kalynuk. Kalynuk shares the team lead in assists with junior Linus Weissbach — both at 17 this season.The Badgers will be playing their final home series of the season this weekend — a season that many Badger hockey fans are not happy about. The Badgers ended last season with 18 losses, a number that they have already reached this season with four games remaining. Men’s Hockey: Experience gained this season cannot be overlookedGoing into the 2019-2020 season, the University of Wisconsin men’s hockey team (10-17-1, 5-14-1-1 Big Ten) faced high expectations from Read…These two teams have not played each other in over four years, their last match dating back to the halloween weekend of 2015. In that series, the Badgers won the first game 5–1 and the second game by a score of 2–1, giving the Badgers the series sweep. The Badgers hope to continue this two game win streak against the Sun Devils this weekend.Both games this weekend are set to begin at 7:00 p.m. and can be listened to on 1310 WIBA. These games can also be followed on the Men’s Hockey Twitter page, @BadgerMHockey.