Frustrated Golovkin struggling to book Canelo replacement

first_imgFILE – In this Sept. 17, 2017 file photo shows Gennady Golovkin, left, connects with a left to Canelo Alvarez during a middleweight title fight in Las Vegas. Golovkin is growing frustrated with boxing’s sanctioning bodies while he struggles to find a replacement opponent for Canelo Alvarez on May 5. The unbeaten middleweight champion’s rematch with Alvarez in Las Vegas fell through after the Mexican star failed a doping test in February and finally withdrew from the bout last week.(AP Photo/John Locher, File)LOS ANGELES — Gennady Golovkin is growing frustrated with boxing’s sanctioning bodies while he struggles to find a replacement opponent for Canelo Alvarez on May 5.Golovkin and his promoter and trainer appeared in downtown Los Angeles on Thursday to announce they still haven’t found a suitable replacement, and time is running out.ADVERTISEMENT “At some point, we’re going to run out of time,” Loeffler said. “Right now, it’s three weeks from Saturday. The arenas are all still working with us. The networks are working with us. … Unfortunately, when you have fights like this that fall out, not everything is under our control. We’re under the gun now just to save May 5.”Loeffler said he has worked extensively to reach a deal with a new opponent while still keeping happy all three sanctioning bodies behind Golovkin’s middleweight belts — a nearly impossible chore in the fractious world of prizefighting.Although Loeffler repeatedly declined to go into extensive details about the obstacles in place, Golovkin is determined to avoid being stripped of any titles by the sanctioning bodies.Unlike Floyd Mayweather and other champions who view title belts as relatively unimportant, Golovkin prizes his reign as a decorated champion after he fought in Europe for years without attention or title belts. After concluding his lucrative business with Alvarez, Golovkin’s ultimate dream is to fight Britain’s Billy Joe Saunders for the WBO middleweight title, the only one he doesn’t hold among the four major sanctioning bodies.With that mandate from his champion, Loeffler is having trouble reconciling the desires of the IBF, WBA and WBC in finding a replacement for Alvarez. The IBF is particularly strident in its opposition to any opponent except mandatory challenger Sergiy Derevyanchenko.ADVERTISEMENT Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident LATEST STORIES MOST READ Jo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast Woods files entry to play US Open for 1st time since 2015 Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina While Golovkin would be willing to fight the little-known Ukrainian contender, Loeffler believes the matchup would be much less lucrative than other potential matchups.“If we had enough time, we could promote that bout,” Loeffler said. “It would be much more difficult in a short period of time like we have right now.”Irish contender Gary “Spike” O’Sullivan, Jermell Charlo and former U.S. Olympian Vanes Martirosyan all have been discussed for the bout. Martirosyan seems to be the most likely candidate, with the boxers probably fighting in the famed outdoor ring in Carson, California, but Loeffler hasn’t closed the deal.“I’m a little disappointed because there’s no opponent,” said Golovkin’s trainer, Abel Sanchez. “We’re on schedule for our May 5 fight. … I think the fans are clamoring just to see him fight somebody. Hopefully none of the people and the organizations trying to get in the way are going to be able to.”While Golovkin wants to keep busy, he also has his eyes on the future. If Canelo’s potential suspension is only a six-month ban after his meeting with the Nevada Athletic Commission on April 18, Golovkin and Alvarez probably could meet in September near Mexico’s Independence Day, another traditionally big weekend for boxing.“This is one of the longest layoffs of his career,” Loeffler said of Golovkin. “We think it’s patently unfair that he doesn’t fight just because Canelo is suspended.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC “I’m hungry,” said Golovkin, who turned 36 years old last Sunday. “Just give me a fight.”The unbeaten middleweight champion’s rematch with Alvarez in Las Vegas fell through after the Mexican star failed a doping test in February and finally withdrew from the bout last week.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownGolovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs) is still in training for a fight on Cinco de Mayo weekend, but he doesn’t appear to be much closer to finding a suitable opponent for what would be his 20th defense of his 160-pound titles.Promoter Tom Loeffler believes he must finalize a deal by “the middle of next week” to stage a bout on a traditionally huge date for boxing. View commentslast_img read more

Cocopa ‘Go Slow’ Turns Violent

first_imgA month long ‘go slow’ at the Cocopa Rubber Plantation on Friday April 1 turned violent after aggrieved workers blocked the main road leading to Saclapea from Ganta, preventing vehicles from plying their regular route.The action forced an ambulance transporting a patient from the Bahn Refugee Camp to Ganta to divert to another route through Karnplay to Ganta.Officers of the Liberia National Police Emergency Response Unit (ERU) who arrived on the scene tried to disburse the crowd but the situation went out of hand and the police resorted to the use of tear gas. During the confusion, three police officers sustained injuries resulting from stones thrown at them from the crowd.The workers allegedly broke into the main warehouse at the plantation, as well as the only clinic, and looted everything there. When confronted, their spokesman denied that they were involved in the looting. He said they embarked on a peaceful go-slow but when the police arrived and began to use tear gas, the crowd lost it, leading to the looting and disorderly conduct. The Plant’s Operation Manager, Benjamin Saye, and senior staff members of the various departments have since moved to Ganta. Eleven persons, including two women were arrested and brought to Ganta for questioning, but they were later released after Acting Ganta City Mayor Ben Dokpa, upon the instruction of the Supt. Zuagele, stood their bonds. Meanwhile, the situation at the plantation is now calm. Police officers are presently on the plantation to protect other facilities that were not tampered with, the County Police Commander told the Daily Observer.The management is set to pay the workers their arrears today, April 4, as well as recruit a minimum number of workers that it can maintain, Mr. Saye said. The go–slow at the plantation began a month ago, when teachers, nurses and even security officers decided to stop all operations until salary arrears were paid.The workers meanwhile threatened to close the highway linking Ganta and Saclapea if the government failed to address their plight.The management was forced to hire a Community Watch Forum to take control of the facilities until the disturbance was ended.Many of the citizens of Nimba have expressed disappointment in the workers’ action when there was a process already underway to pay them. “Although, we’re in sympathy with the Cocopa workers for the delay in getting their salaries, we’re not in support of taking the law into their own hands,” said an eyewitness at the scene.He added “They were going to get their arrears so they shouldn’t have gone on the rampage.”The recent saga began when the government of Liberia took the plantation from the previous owner, LIBCO due to bad labor practices in 2013.Since then the workers have continued to complain about delays in receiving their wages and monthly rice supply.Recently, the present management, Nimba Rubber Incorporated, issued a distribution of rice to the aggrieved workers to ease the tension while working on the payment of salary arrears which was supposed to start on April 2.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more