A six-year-old student was allegedly molested by a teacher at a government-aided girls’ school in south Kolkata. The incident led to a major protest by parents of students outside the school on Tuesday. The protesters threw stones at the police team which reached the spot for investigation, forcing the police to resort to baton charge to disperse them. The accused teacher was arrested and four persons were taken into custody for throwing stones at the police. The school authorities could not be reached for comments.Two separate casesJoint Commissioner of Kolkata Police (Headquarters) Supratim Sarkar said two separate cases were lodged regarding the alleged molestation and assault on police. “We have lodged a case against the accused teacher under Sections 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act,” he said.A brawl broke out in front of the school between the police and the guardians when the latter tried to break open the school gate. Both sides allegedly traded blows and a section of the protesters tried to pull off the helmets of the police personnel who retaliated with baton charge. Several guardians and police personnel were injured in the clash. “Eight police personnel, including two officers incharge, were injured,” said Mr. Sarkar. He denied allegations that there was not adequate deployment of women police personnel to deal with the situation.A section of guardians eventually broke open the main gate of the school and ransacked several rooms inside the premises. They also allegedly heckled other teachers when they tried to leave the premises. The situation was such that some of the teachers had to be taken out of the area in police vehicles.West Bengal Commission for Protection of Child Rights chairperson said that the commission will monitor the probe and seek the CCTV footages of the school from the police if required.
Two days after announcing that he would be voluntarily visiting the Enforcement Directorate’s office in Mumbai to clear the air about a purported cooperative bank scam in which he has been named, Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar on Friday cancelled his visit. “I was informed by the ED that I am not required to come… and in order to maintain law and order in the city, I have decided not to go to the ED office,” Mr. Pawar said outside his residence in Mumbai. Mumbai Police Commissioner Sanjay Barve visited Mr. Pawar earlier in the day requested him not to visit the ED office as it may create a law and order situation. “I had been Home Minister in the past and do not want to disturb peace in the city and affect daily lives of people,” Mr. Pawar added.Mr. Pawar thanked his party workers, ally Congress and its leaders Manmohan Singh and Rahul Gandhi for their support. Mr. Pawar also thanked Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut, who had spoken in favour of him. “I will be going to Pune, Baramati and Purandar areas, which was affected by floods and will monitor rescue work,” Mr. Pawar said. Mr. Pawar’s decision would have given relief to the Mumbai Police, which had increased the security near Mulund since morning.The workers of NCP and Congress were starting to gather outside ED office and Mr. Pawar’s residence since morning.
Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Jasmine Alcayde, who rode the bench for most of the season, took Mendrez’ spot in the starting six joining other graduating players Judith Abil, Lai Bendong, Roselle Baliton, and Kath Arado,“Ate Jas got to be in the starting six since this is her last playing year,” said Mendrez. “I think it’s also a good thing so those who will graduate got to play at the same time.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte MANILA, Philippines—With the season winding out, star hitter Mary Ann Mendrez had to sit out University of the East’s second to the last game in the UAAP Season 81 on Wednesday.ADVERTISEMENT Magalong: Albayalde also got SUV out of ‘agaw bato’ operation in 2013 PLAY LIST 01:19Magalong: Albayalde also got SUV out of ‘agaw bato’ operation in 201300:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss LATEST STORIES View comments Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Magnolia closer to PBA finals return, overcomes Rain or Shine in Game 5 Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid Mendrez, UE’s second-leading scorer in the tournament with 13.3 points per game, was suffering from tonsilitis, which got worse over the Holy week break.Without her output, the Lady Warriors absorbed a 25-17, 25-16, 25-19 loss to defending champion La Salle whcih sent them to a 3-10 record.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“When I got back in Manila, things got worse and that was when I got fever and tonsillitis,” said Mendrez in Filipino. “Coach [Karl Dimaculangan] didn’t let me train since Monday, although on Sunday I joined the practice but I didn’t finish it.”Mendrez, though, saw her illness as a blessing in disguise as her graduating teammates got a chance to be on the floor at the same time. Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew