HMAS Toowoomba Returns from the Middle East Deployment

first_imgBack to overview,Home naval-today HMAS Toowoomba Returns from the Middle East Deployment View post tag: Frigate Authorities View post tag: Deployment June 14, 2013 View post tag: class View post tag: Minister HMAS Toowoomba was welcomed home today from a six-month deployment to the Middle East Area of Operations (MEAO).The homecoming ceremony was attended by Minister for Defence, the Honourable Stephen Smith MP, Shadow Minister for Defence and Senator for Western Australia, Senator the Honourable David Johnston, Senior Officer Commodore Peter Lockwood DSC, CSC, RAN, RTD, Commander Surface Force, Commodore Jonathan Mead AM RAN, and the family and friends of Toowoomba personnel.Minister Smith greeted the crew at her homeport Fleet Base West (HMAS Stirling), Rockingham, Western Australia and availed of the opportunity to congratulate the ship’s company on a challenging but successful operation.HMAS Toowoomba is an ANZAC Class Frigate with a crew of 191 men and women. As part of Operation SLIPPER, she provided essential naval support to International Maritime Security Operations in the Arabian Gulf.While deployed, HMAS Toowoomba participated in counter-terrorism operations in the Gulf of Oman and North Arabian Sea, and counter-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden and in the waters off the Horn of Africa and the Somali Basin.Toowoomba was replaced on station by HMAS Newcastle, which took over in late May. This marked the end of Toowoomba’s fourth rotation to the MEAO.This was the fifty-fourth rotation of a RAN ship to the MEAO since the commencement of the first Gulf War in 1990.The deployment made a significant contribution to maritime security and continued the longstanding tradition maintaining Australia’s high standing as a maritime security partner in the Middle East.[mappress]Press Release, June 14, 2013; Image: Australian Navy View post tag: Defence Share this article View post tag: News by topic View post tag: HMAS View post tag: Returns View post tag: Anzac View post tag: Middle View post tag: Naval View post tag: Smith View post tag: Toowoomba View post tag: Australia HMAS Toowoomba Returns from the Middle East Deployment View post tag: Stephen View post tag: East View post tag: Navylast_img read more

Oliver Adams bakery goes bust with 150 redundancies

first_imgNorthampton-based bakery Oliver Adams has closed its 17 outlets resulting in 150 employee redundancies.Insolvency experts BRI has confirmed that trading has ceased after Oliver Adams “failed” in its attempts to save the company.“A Compulsory Voluntary Arrangement had been signed on 1 June last year, which aimed to pay off the company’s debts, but Oliver Adams has failed in its efforts,” BRI told British Baker.“As supervisors of the arrangement, we have certain obligations. When it fails, we have to petition the courts for a compulsory liquidation. The director [of Oliver Adams] has instructed another non-local firm of insolvency practitioners to take the required steps to put the company into voluntary liquidation with a meeting of creditors being held on 13 April.”Ian Cooke, insolvency manager for BRI, has been working to keep the business afloat over the past year. He revealed to British Baker that, according to external sources, six of the sites have been taken over by organisation Bakery Organic.Adams is a traditional craft bakery that had originally been managed by the family line since 1856, but was passed over to director Mark Jarvis over two years ago by Thomas Adams.Oliver Adams was a member of the British Society of Baking organisation and chairman Paul Turner told British Baker that it was a sad situation for the established and well-known craft bakery to close down.British Baker has contacted Oliver Adams and Bakery Organic for comment.In May 2016, Oliver Adams closed nine of its bakeries for ’restructuring’ and claimed it was “losing money hand over fist”.last_img read more

Supervisors approve Cerro Gordo County FY 2021 budget

first_imgMASON CITY — County tax levy rates will be heading down after the Cerro Gordo County Board of Supervisors approved the Fiscal Year 2021 budget at their meeting this morning. County budget director Heather Mathre says the countywide levy will drop about nine cents per $1000 assessed valuation, while the rural levy will drop five cents per $1000.  The countywide levy drops from $6.13 to $6.04, while the rural levy will decrease from $3.50 to $3.45. She says, “A large share of that countywide levy drop is due to the mental health levy, it dropped about eight cents.”Mathre says the county’s budget next year will spend about $200,000 less than the current year, with next year’s budget including a major project for the county.  She says, “Currently we are re-estimating for the current year spending about $38.2 million. Next year we are planning just under $38 million, and that has the proposed secondary roads building in it for our capital projects.” Supervisor Casey Callanan thanked Mathre for her hard work on this year’s budget.  “Lowering the levy is a good thing, and we’re still able to get essential services out there. I think it’s a good budget, a fair budget, and I thank everybody for their efforts.”Fellow supervisors Chris Watts and Tim Latham agreed with Callanan’s assessment of the budget process. Watts says, “Heather has put a lot of hours into that, and put up with us through this process, and I think it’s a very, very good budget.” Latham says, “I think it’s a great budget when you take into consideration that we’re adding a secondary road building into it and we’re under last year’s budget. So I thank all the department heads and everyone’s work to do that.”Almost half of next year’s budget deals with public safety, legal services, roads and transportation. Physical health and social services takes up 17% of the budget, while capital projects is 12% of the budget.last_img read more