Guyanese are being called upon by Mashramani Coordinator Andrew Tyndall to take ownership of the country’s National celebration observed on February 23.Tyndall, during an interview with the Department of Public Information (DPI), said that given the symbolism of Mashramani – a celebration after hard work and the date on which Guyana gained the status of a Republic – it is a festival not only for the participants but for all Guyanese.Mashramani Coordinator Andrew Tyndall“We have worked hard as a people and we have come a long way, (it is) our 48th anniversary. Let us come out and celebrate and let’s take ownership of Mashramani,” Tyndall stated.According to the Coordinator, Guyana has adopted several cultural aspects from other countries; hence he is advocating that Guyanese do the same and promote Mashramani to the rest of the world. Tyndall explained “we need to also develop our own culture so that we could export that culture to the world. Mashramani is ours, we have to own it! Mashramani is only going to get better when all Guyanese come on board and recognise that it is something that belongs to us and we all have a responsibility for its development.”Tyndall reiterated his call for Guyanese to come out in their numbers and support Mashramani. He opined, for the festival to be a success, it cannot be left to the Ministry’s planning committee or just the participants to achieve this goal.
Advertisement Advertisement Facebook TORONTO, Dec. 1, 2017 – Canadian music legend Neil Young‘s hometown of Omemee, Ont. plays host to his previously announced livestreamed concert tonight. It has been confirmed that all proceeds from tonight’s concert event are going to the Scott Young Public School in Omemee, the school which carries his father’s name.With no public tickets available for tonight’s event, fans can tune in at 8 p.m. ET for Young’s intimate acoustic show, streaming live on CTV.ca, CTV GO, and as an iHeartRadio Secret Session on iHeartRadio.ca in Canada, and on Facebook around the world. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Login/Register With: Neil Young will perform somewhere in Canada for a concert to be livestreamed at CTV.ca on Dec. 1. (RICH FURY / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILE PHOTO) Twitter
(Representational image)MANJUNATH KIRAN/AFP/Getty ImagesThe sheer inconsideration of Air Asia flight ground staff appalled many after a few employees forcibly separated two minor children from their parents in the Bengaluru Kempegowda Airport saying that the parents were delaying the flight and that they had to take off immediately.The incident took place on the morning of Saturday, April 13. The staff had ushered in the two children, aged seven and twelve but they had to stand at the entrance of the flight since they did not have their boarding passes which were with their parents. The parents were at the gate pleading with the ground staff to either let them in or let the children go.Shockingly, the ground staff, in a fit of rage, tore up the boarding passes of the parents Ravi and Beena Mallik, gave them their luggage and the flight took off without them, reports India Today.The family of four were supposed to go to Bagdogra in West Bengal via the Air Asia flight i5 2392.Speaking about the events leading to the traumatic experience, Ravi told India Today that the gates were changed and there was no way of them knowing since the Bengaluru Kempegowda Airport is a silent one.”We did not know when the gates were changed and neither did we get any message from the airline. At 9:51, just 10 minutes before scheduled departure, we got a call from Air Asia. The woman on the other side in a matter of fact tone warned us that we will be left behind if we do not show up immediately,” Ravi said.They were at gate number 1 and had to gate number 14. They rushed but Beena had to use the restroom and the group stopped for a few minutes.At first, the ground staff told Ravi and he and the children will be taken in the first flight and Beena would be flown separately. When he refused, the staff became hostile and sent the children through the aerobridge while Ravi and Beena were made to stand at the gate.”I have never felt so humiliated and embarrassed in my life. My wife and I had to beg Air Asia staff to let us meet our little kids. My wife begged and cried but they didn’t listen to us,” said Ravi recounted his experience.He added, “My seven-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl were made to stand near the door of the aircraft. They did not get on the plane as their boarding passes were with us. Finally, they were brought back to us from some other gate.”Ravi said that his children were crying and they too were traumatized by the entire unpleasant experience. He was also upset with the attitude of the onlookers who only stared at them but did not offer to help.When asked by India Today about the events, an Air Asia spokesperson denied everything and said that only protocol was followed. They also refused to give a statement.
Smith has raked in a huge profit from his 2015 investmentMatt King/Getty ImagesWhen it rains, it pours! Steve Smith’s luck seems to have turned round drastically. After getting disgraced for his actions as a captain in sanctioning ball-tampering, he is back to his best. The back-to-back hundreds scored by the right-hander in the first Ashes Test have re-asserted his credentials as the world’s best Test batsman. But it’s not just on the field that the former captain is making a killing.Recently, an investment of Aus $100,000 that he had made in a company called Koala Mattresses, led to a windfall profit as he earned Aus $12.1 million in return. The investment made by Smith was in return for a 10% stake in the company. This masterstroke by the man with 25 Test hundreds was played in 2015. Since then, the firm has grown exponentially to have more than 200,000 customers and a valuation of Aus $150 million. As a result of this massive profit, Smith now has made more money from his stake in Koala than through his cricket-related deals. According to some media outlets, Smith makes Aus $2 million from his duties as an Aussie cricketer. To add to that, his IPL contract brings him an equally large sum. The ball-tampering scandal had left Smith disgraced, but only temporarilySTR/AFP/Getty ImagesThe total valuation of Smith is bound to come to around Aus $31 million, according to estimates by agencies. This windfall gain from Koala Mattresses would also completely wipe out the loss that the 30-year old suffered due to the sandpaper-gate controversy. With him losing the opportunity to play for Australia for one year and also not being allowed into the IPL, the New South Welshman is estimated to have endured a loss of Aus $7 million.But all the turmoil and embarrassment that the former captain had to face has been replaced by adulation and admiration in his home country after his good performances in the World Cup as well as the two brilliant knocks against England. All these emerged despite the extremely hostile reaction dished out by the English crowds continuously to him.While many spectators brought sandpapers to the ground and have waved them at him and the other two players – David Warner and Cameron Bancroft – who were involved in the infamous saga, others have booed him relentlessly despite his superlative batting.But the rest of the world seems to be warming up to him once again. During Australia’s match vs India in the ICC 2019 World Cup, when some Indian fans targeted Smith, the captain of the Men in Blue, Virat Kohli, admonished them and asked for a show of respect towards his rival. Times have certainly changed for the fidgety run-machine of Australia.
Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) chairperson Khaleda ZiaA Comilla court on Sunday ordered the police to execute the warrant for the arrest of BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia and 48 other BNP leaders and activists by 24 April next in a case filed over the 2015 arson attack on a bus in Chouddagram upazila that left eight people dead, reports UNB.Additional chief judicial magistrate Joynab Begum passed the order and fixed 24 April for the next hearing of the case, said court police inspector Subrata Banerjee.Accepting the charge-sheet against 69 BNP leaders and activists, the same court on 2 January last issued the arrest warrant for the BNP chief and others as they did not appear before it on the day.Eight people were killed and at least 20 others injured when miscreants hurled a petrol bomb at a bus at Jogmohanpur in Chouddagram during the BNP-led alliance’s movement on 3 February 2015.Two separate cases – one under the Explosive Substances Act and another for murder – were filed in connection with the incident.Sub-inspector Nururzzaman filed the murder case against 77 people, including Khaleda.Firoz Ahmed, inspector of the Detective Branch of police and also the investigation officer of the case, submitted the chargesheet accusing 69 people.On 9 October 2017 last, a Comilla court ordered the arrest of BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia and 45 other leaders and activists of her party in the case filed under the Explosive Substances Act over the arson attack.
Enroll Now for Free This hands-on workshop will give you the tools to authentically connect with an increasingly skeptical online audience. Free Workshop | August 28: Get Better Engagement and Build Trust With Customers Now 2 min read Tesla wants Martin Tripp to pay up big time — it’s seeking a whopping $167 million from the former employee, which company chief Elon Musk once called a saboteur. The electric vehicle maker filed a lawsuit against Tripp earlier this year, accusing the former employee of stealing gigabytes’ worth of proprietary information and giving it to outsiders, as well as of making false claims to reporters. Now, according to CNBC, an interim case management report published on November 27th revealed that Tesla “objected to Mr. Tripp’s desire to take more than ten depositions” for a case where he is being sued for $167 million in damages.Related: Police Catch Tesla Autopilot Driving Home Sleeping DrunkTripp’s lawyer Robert D. Mitchell, who described the amount Tesla is demanding as “absurd,” told CNBC:”The purported damage amount claimed by Tesla relates to supposed dips in Tesla’s stock price by virtue of the information Mr. Tripp provided to the press last summer.”In the automaker’s original lawsuit, the company said Tripp “admitted to writing software that hacked Tesla’s manufacturing operating system and to transferring several gigabytes of Tesla data to outside entities.” Leaked emails between Musk and Tripp showed how an exchange between them turned increasingly ugly, with each one calling the other a “horrible human being.”The former employee, who used to work as a process engineer at Tesla’s Gigafactory, filed a complaint of his own with the Securities and Exchange Commission in June. He accused Tesla of making “material omissions and misstatements” to investors as well as of putting cars with safety issues on the road. Tripp also tweeted photos of what he said were images showing Tesla’s flawed manufacturing practices and handling of scrap at the lithium battery factory. The company denied Tripp’s claims, telling Engadget that the former employee “does not even have personal knowledge about the safety claims that he is making.” This story originally appeared on Engadget December 12, 2018
Share AMSTERDAM — May 22 was a momentous date for Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants: it marked the opening of Kimpton De Witt in Amsterdam, the company’s first luxury property in Europe.Set in the Palace Quarter neighbourhood, the highly anticipated hotel pays tribute to Amsterdam’s local heritage by marrying the old grandeur of the Dutch Golden Age with new buildings from the late 20th century. Offering 274 guestrooms including 15 signature rooms and suites, its most inventive feature is the three-storey ‘Little House’, which was once the childhood home of the famous Dutch playwright P.C. Hooft. Dating back to the 1600s, Little House now offers two king-sized rooms and a first floor living room and can be rented by groups in search of ultimate luxury.Other hotel features including a ‘living wall’ of florals and botanicals at the hotel entrance, custom-crafted desks in rooms, a flower shop, open-air courtyard, complimentary VanMoof bikes, a hosted ‘Social Hour’ each day starting at 5 p.m., art-filled meeting spaces that total 602 square metres, and award-winning bars and restaurants.More news: CIE Tours launches first-ever River Cruise Collection“Amsterdam is in many ways a perfect fit for Kimpton’s first European hotel,” said Mike DeFrino, CEO of Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants. “The city is effortless in design, highly diverse, light-hearted and known to be a hotbed of creativity, all of which are pillars of the Kimpton brand. We’ll be bringing Kimpton to Paris next and have big plans for other cities across the continent.”Acquired by InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) in January 2015, the acclaimed U.S. hotel group was founded by Bill Kimpton following inspiration from his European travels as an investment banker. Kimpton De Witt is the first Kimpton hotel to open in Europe with a second hotel scheduled to open in Paris in 2020. There are currently over 60 Kimpton hotels and more than 70 restaurants across Europe and the Americas. This is IHG’s 20th hotel in The Netherlands and is an exciting addition to the 675 IHG hotels across Europe. Posted by Kimpton’s 1st luxury property in Europe now open << Previous PostNext Post >> Tuesday, May 23, 2017 Tags: Britain & Europe, Kimpton, Luxury Travel, Netherlands Travelweek Group