Petitot River fire conditions too dangerous for crews: officials

first_imgProvincial wildfire officials say a 20-person team is on its way north to the Fort Nelson region to assess and prioritize firefighting efforts against more than 30 fires in the area, including the Petitot River fire that’s inching closer to a nearby gas plant.Jill Kelsh says high wind and dry conditions are thwarting efforts to get crews on the ground to fight the fire at Petitot River, a 3,700 hectare blaze that has come with 10 kilometre’s of Pennwest Petroleum’s Wildboy plant.Fifteen workers at the plant, who were placed on alert earlier this week, were ordered to evacuate today due to the volatile conditions.- Advertisement -“We’re expecting extreme fire behaviour,” said Kelsh.“At this time, it’s just not safe to get out in front of the fire with our crews.”The Petitot River fire is located about 115 kilometres northeast of Fort Nelson.Advertisement Crews have so far only set up a series of sprinklers west of the fire, according to Kelsh, and are working to prevent the fire from jumping to the north side of the river.Kelsh says there are more than 30 fires active in the Fort Nelson Fire Zone, and are managing the burns with the resources at hand.Most firefighters who were deployed to Alaska and the Yukon in June to help with efforts there, have since returned, according to Kelsh.last_img read more

Chelsea and Manchester United told to shelve plans for Serbian sensation until the summer

first_img1 Marko Grujic Chelsea and Manchester United have been told to forget about signing teen sensation Marko Grujic until the summer.The 19-year-old has impressed for Red Star Belgrade this season and clubs across Europe have taken note.Both Chelsea and Manchester United have expressed an interest, while Napoli scouted the midfielder back in October.However, any clubs hoping to secure a January move for Grujic have now been told to wait until next summer by Red Star’s sporting director Blazo Raosavljevic.“Lots of clubs want the player, Napoli are also courting him,” Raosavljevic told Gazzetta dello Sport.“However, we have not received any offers at the moment. If one came in now for €6m (£4m) I would reaffirm that our goal is to avoid selling the player until August 31, 2016.”last_img read more