Witnesses of yesterday’s bloodbath arrested or censored

first_img to go further Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts Organisation Parlemannews, the official website of the parliament’s reformist minority, has been inaccessible since 26 December, following the Supreme Council for National Security’s ban on any ceremony paying homage to Ayatollah Montazeri, who died on 20 December (http://www.rsf.org/Censorship-and-arrests-as.html). After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists A leading human rights figure as well as a journalist, Baghi was arrested at his Tehran home today by men in plain clothes and was taken away to an unknown location. A staunch campaigner against the death penalty and 2005 winner of the French Republic Human Rights Prize, Baghi had been summoned and threatened several times by judicial and intelligence ministry officials since President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s disputed reelection on 12 June. In all, he has been summoned, sentenced and jailed more than four dozen times in the past 10 years. News Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists News February 25, 2021 Find out more At the same time, plain-clothes men today raided the headquarters of the weekly Irandokhte, confiscating all of its computers. This newspaper has managed to publish only two issues since its launch. December 28, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Witnesses of yesterday’s bloodbath arrested or censored Reporters Without Borders has received no information about several other Iranian journalists and bloggers who were also reportedly arrested. Several Tehran sources told Reporters Without Borders it was possible to demonstrate that these hacker attacks were being organised by the Iranian authorities and from Revolutionary Guard servers. The country’s main ISPs depend on the Telecommunication Company of Iran (TCI), a company that was bought by the Revolutionary Guards in September. RSF_en center_img Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 Yesterday’s opposition demonstrations, which were dispersed with violence and loss of life, were followed today by raids by the intelligence ministry and Revolutionary Guards on opposition figures and news media and a new wave of hacker attacks on websites. Several journalists, including Emadoldin Baghi, have been arrested. Follow the news on Iran Blogger and human rights activist Shiva Nazar Ahari (http://azadiezan.blogspot.com) was able to notify her family by phone on 24 December that she is being held in Section 209 of Tehran’s Evin prison. She said she was arrested on 20 December, the day before Ayatollah Montazeri’s funeral. She was previously arrested on 14 June and held for five months. Alireza Behshtipour Shirazi, the editor of Kaleme.org (opposition leader Mirhossein Moussavi’s official website), was also arrested at his Tehran home today and taken to an unknown place of detention. Mostafa Izadi, a journalist who works for several newspapers such as Etemad-e Melli, was also arrested at his home. News Several Internet Service Providers have meanwhile been cutting connections. The level of disruption yesterday was unprecedented: most independent or opposition websites were rendered inaccessible within Iran as a result of systematic attacks coming from “unidentified servers.” Rah Sabaz (The Green Way), one of the leading opposition websites, was among those targeted. Last week, the Iranian cyber-police attacked the Mowjcamp and Twitter websites . “The authorities want to silence the witnesses of the crackdown in order to continue committing atrocities with complete impunity,” Reporters Without Borders said, reiterating its appeal to the international community to put more pressure on the Iranian government to respect its international undertakings. “Baghi and his colleagues have no place being in prison.” June 9, 2021 Find out more News IranMiddle East – North Africa March 18, 2021 Find out more IranMiddle East – North Africa The authorities confirmed today that Reza Al-Bacha, a Syrian journalist employed by Dubai TV, was arrested yesterday. The Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance press office nonetheless insisted that he was not working for the station at the time of his arrest.last_img read more

MPO gets public feedback on transportation priorities

first_img Facebook MPO gets public feedback on transportation priorities Facebook Twitter Twitter WhatsApp Local News Pinterest Permian Basin MPO logo The Permian Basin Metropolitan Planning Organization hosted one of their five public workshops to gather input from the public on their priorities for their new 25-year transportation plan.MPO’s 2045 Metropolitan Transportation Plan consists of various transportation projects intended to reflect the needs and priorities the community of Midland and Odessa would like to see implemented over the next 25 years, from 2020 to 2045.The organization deals with investing in transportation improvements big and small such as installing traffic signals, widening shoulders and building interchanges, as well as pedestrian and bike routes and transit systems.“Ultimately, the people’s opinions tie into the decisions that are made to improve the network around here,” MPO Executive Director Cameron Walker said during the Thursday meeting. “If you can get people and goods through a region better and safer, what you’ve done in the long run is affected the economic value of it.”During the meetings, members of the public have voiced their priorities for what areas they would like to see invested in by MPO. The four most popular options so far have been the maintaining of roads, reduced congestion, safety improvements and economic development.“What we’re seeing still is the dominance of people’s choices for investing in the transportation system are geared around the highways,” Walker said. “However, we are glad to see there’s some funding suggestions tied to bicycle and pedestrian facilities as well.”Walker said the public has also voiced that safety is extremely important to them, which he said MPO wasn’t surprised by.Don Bonifay, one of the few people who showed up to the workshop, said his two largest concerns were safety and the capacity of highways and roads.“Speeds are a lot higher than they used to be, so safety is a major issue,” Bonifay said. “Not just for highways and roads, but here in the city itself.”There will be two more public hearings in Midland next week for the public to voice their priorities: One will be from 3 to 5 p.m. Tuesday at the EZ-Rider Administration Building, 10300 Younger Rd., and another one from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 2300 Butternut Lane.More InformationPermian Basin MPO Previous articleELDER: Why is Facebook groveling before lawmakers?Next articleHIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL: Permian walks it off against Odessa High again to complete series sweep admin Pinterest By admin – April 21, 2018 WhatsApplast_img read more