‘We are the resistance!’ say Syracuse students and community

first_imgSyracuse, N.Y., Dec. 8.WW photo: Minnie Bruce PrattSyracuse, N.Y. — In bitter cold, 300 protesters marched from Syracuse University into downtown Syracuse in a militant outcry against racism and police brutality. Bridging campus and community, the protest brought together local activists, parents with babies in strollers and Snuglis, children on scooters and a core multinational crowd of students.This Dec. 8 march was called by THE General Body, an SU “united front of student organizations,” the anti-corporatization multi-issue group that occupied the SU administration building for 18 days earlier in the fall.At a brief opening rally, speakers for the “March for Justice: We Can’t Breathe” protest denounced “white-collar war criminals” and Black lynchings, “where the rope has been replaced by the hand of police holding a gun.” One speaker said of the marchers, “We are the resistance, we are the change, we are the future.”The Syracuse community members and SU students, teachers and staff then marched to Bird Library, where they held a four-and-a-half minute “die-in” while names were read of people of color killed by police.As night fell, marchers headed downtown through rush-hour traffic, chanting, “Resistance is justified, when people are occupied!” and “How do you spell racist? U.S.A.!”They sat down, blocking traffic, on the streets in front of the Syracuse Police Department and the Onondaga County Courthouse. Family of people killed in Syracuse police custody spoke about the deaths of their loved ones.The local Southern Christian Leadership Conference chapter president, Dr. L. Micah Dexter, said: “From Syracuse to Gaza to Ferguson, resistance is justified. You have the right to rebel.”As the crowd marched back to campus, chanting, “You can’t stop the revolution!” residents from a nearby low-income housing project came out to greet them, with hands raised in the now universal “Hands Up, Don’t Shoot” gesture from the Ferguson, Mo., uprising.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thislast_img read more

MPO gets public feedback on transportation priorities

first_img Facebook MPO gets public feedback on transportation priorities Facebook Twitter Twitter WhatsApp Local News Pinterest Permian Basin MPO logo The Permian Basin Metropolitan Planning Organization hosted one of their five public workshops to gather input from the public on their priorities for their new 25-year transportation plan.MPO’s 2045 Metropolitan Transportation Plan consists of various transportation projects intended to reflect the needs and priorities the community of Midland and Odessa would like to see implemented over the next 25 years, from 2020 to 2045.The organization deals with investing in transportation improvements big and small such as installing traffic signals, widening shoulders and building interchanges, as well as pedestrian and bike routes and transit systems.“Ultimately, the people’s opinions tie into the decisions that are made to improve the network around here,” MPO Executive Director Cameron Walker said during the Thursday meeting. “If you can get people and goods through a region better and safer, what you’ve done in the long run is affected the economic value of it.”During the meetings, members of the public have voiced their priorities for what areas they would like to see invested in by MPO. The four most popular options so far have been the maintaining of roads, reduced congestion, safety improvements and economic development.“What we’re seeing still is the dominance of people’s choices for investing in the transportation system are geared around the highways,” Walker said. “However, we are glad to see there’s some funding suggestions tied to bicycle and pedestrian facilities as well.”Walker said the public has also voiced that safety is extremely important to them, which he said MPO wasn’t surprised by.Don Bonifay, one of the few people who showed up to the workshop, said his two largest concerns were safety and the capacity of highways and roads.“Speeds are a lot higher than they used to be, so safety is a major issue,” Bonifay said. “Not just for highways and roads, but here in the city itself.”There will be two more public hearings in Midland next week for the public to voice their priorities: One will be from 3 to 5 p.m. Tuesday at the EZ-Rider Administration Building, 10300 Younger Rd., and another one from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 2300 Butternut Lane.More InformationPermian Basin MPO Previous articleELDER: Why is Facebook groveling before lawmakers?Next articleHIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL: Permian walks it off against Odessa High again to complete series sweep admin Pinterest By admin – April 21, 2018 WhatsApplast_img read more

Fearful but impatient, Italy edges toward end of lockdown

first_imgTopics : Italians debated Sunday their first cautious steps out of a coronavirus lockdown that has left an estimated half of the working population seeking government support.The Mediterranean country has been filled with rumors and speculation about when people will finally be allowed to walk the streets freely for the first time since early March.The balmy weather is not helping government efforts to keep everyone inside in the face of a disease that has officially killed 23,227 in Italy — second only to the United States. The number of daily fines for illegal outdoor activity is rising and police are setting up barricades along roads leading to the beaches on the western outskirts of Rome.The growing sense that weeks of confinement were ending forced an unnamed source in Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte’s office to tell media that “nothing will change”.But some officials seem to think that extending the strictest lockdown measures beyond their May 3 deadline might simply not work.The daily death rate has fallen to half of what it was at the peak of the crisis and people — feeling less frightened but more stir crazy — may simply start going out.center_img “We must give citizens greater freedom of movement,” Deputy Health Minister Pierpaolo Sileri said on Saturday.Conte gave little of the game away in one of his characteristic late-night Facebook posts on Saturday.He said some activities will be allowed to resume “according to a well-structured programme that balances the need to protect people’s health with the need to resume production”.Conte is expected to hear on Monday the conclusions of a re-opening taskforce headed by former Vodafone chief executive Vittorio Colao.The pressure on Conte from the leaders of Italy’s northern industrial heartland is also growing intense.The heads of Milan’s Lombardy and Venice’s Veneto regions have both warned that they might soon have to begin reopening businesses on their own.”We either close everything and die waiting for the virus to go away, or we reopen and live,” Veneto governor Luca Zaia said Thursday.The La Repubblica daily estimated Sunday that 11.5 million Italians — exactly half of the official workforce — have stopped receiving incomes and started applying for aid.The Confindustria employers’ federation said 97.2 percent of companies have reported losses from the shutdown — and 47.3 percent “very serious” ones.La Repubblica added that most of the funds approved by Conte in a  25-billion-euro ($27-billion) package have already been spent.The economic emergency and resurgence of political attacks from Italy’s far-right have led Conte to start sounding increasingly defensive in the past week.He told Italy’s Il Giornale newspaper Sunday that “many complement us abroad” about how Italy responded to its greatest disaster since World War II.”This government is determined and strong,” Conte said.Much of the Western world is now debating how it can end weeks of confinement without setting off a second pandemic wave.Italy’s dilemma is more profound because it was already in very deep debt.Another lockdown caused by a new spike in infections poses a graver danger  than in most other European states.Italy also shut down a much bigger proportion of its businesses than countries such as Germany or the United States.Public health institute director Silvio Brusaferro said Italians will have to eventually find a cautious way out.”Living with the virus means re-designing our days,” he told the Corriere della Sera daily.”Everyone has to give up something.”last_img read more